I was going to make burgers this weekend.. but then I decided to make something vegetarian/vegan…. AND THEN…. I wanted to join in the BSI fun… SOOOOOOOO….
Tofu Eggplant Black Bean Burgers!!!!
First I took TWO small eggplants (a Japanese one and a graffiti one.. I bought them separately haha.. gotta use what I gots :])
I added a package of FIRM tofu,
Added a can of black beans (drained and washed), handmushed it together. Added the tastes… soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, a splash of white wine and cooked it down…
After I drained and dried what was left in the pot, I mixed in oats, 3 eggs… and pan-grilled them with a tiny bit of evoo in the pan.
I made a nice batch of truffle sweet potato fries on the side.
Had tomatoes & steamed kale in the burger fixin’s :]
1 Can Black Beans (no salt)
1 Package Firm Tofu (crumbled)
2 small eggplants (diced)
3 Eggs (I tried it without and it didn’t hold together as well so I added it in)
Hot Pepper Flakes
3 Garlic Cloves
4-5 Basil Leaves
1/2-1c Chopped Fresh Scallions
2 Shallots (diced)
Toasted buns w/ butter and garlic rubbed on
Slices of Tomato
1. Add Tofu, Beans, Eggplants into pot. Mush half the beans as you mix it together.
2. Put pot on stove on medium-mediumhi
3. Add (all to taste), soy sauce, sesame oil, hot pepper flakes, black pepper & the 3 diced garlic cloves. Add a splash of white wine and rip up the basil leaves. Cook down until the eggplant is soft and mushy.
4. It will be liquidy so drain the liquid and get rid of as much as possible.
5. Add in the diced shallots. Add the Oats to the mix. (You can leave the eggs out or use egg whites instead. I found that 2-3 eggs made the patties bond the best!) Mix in the scallions (this is also to taste, I love scallions so I added a lot!!!)
6. Round them into big balls, add a little evoo into pan or grill and grill on both sides til brown!
Sides: Butternut Squash – Apple – Carrot puree, Steamed Kale & Truffled Sweet Potato Fries…