I’ve been wanting to try a non-pasta “lasagna” for awhile now so when I heard that this week’s BSI was sweet potato…. for some reason I thought “whoaaa.. sweet potatoes in lasagna would be awesome”
1 Extra Large Sweet Potato (if you want more sweet potato, add more!!!)
2 Japanese Egglants (sliced lengthwise)
2 Large Tomatoes (sliced)
1 Medium Zucchini (sliced into thin circles)
Handful of Basil (chopped)
2 Handfuls of Spinach
1 Large Clove of Garlic (diced)
1 Shallot (sliced so that you have rings)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil a pot of water, peel, and chop a LARGE sweet potato and throw it in and boil until fork tender.
2. In pan, layer a sliced eggplant on the bottom as your “pasta”, and sprinkle on Black Pepper and the garlic.
3. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes.
4. Add a layer of chopped basil
5. Sprinkle on top some balsamic vinegar & rice wine.
6. Add your zucchini circle.
7. Mash your sweet potatoes with a little nutmeg & cinnamon (to taste)
8. Add a thick layer of mashed sweet potatoes on top of your zucchini.
9. Sprinkle two handfuls of spinach.
10. Add another layer of the other sliced eggplant, and then tomatoes and sprinkle the top with the shallot rings.
11. Drizzle more balsamic vinegar some black pepper and some turmeric, nutmeg, and hot pepper flakes on top. (I actually added a chopped hot pepper on mine)
12. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minute with a foil over it
13. Take off foil and put back in for another 5 minutes to brown the shallots a bit.
14. Slice and Enjoy. It made 6 huge slices for me. I had two :] Light and delicious!!!
Feel free to add or take away more layers of veggies… or even add in the pasta & cheese (my parents don’t like cheese which is why it’s cheese-free)
The layers… it was sooo pretty to cut into.
The flavors were intense despite barely any flavorings. It was all the delicious blended veggies!!! Since it was fiber-ific, I was super full after :]